WeChat, developed in China by Tencent in is a mobile voice and text messaging communication service which was first released in 2011. As of now, it is the largest standalone messaging app in terms of monthly active users. WeChat is an all in one communication app for free video and voice calls, text (MMS/SMS), photo sharing and games.
The app as of now, is available on various OS including Android, IOS, Blackberry OS, Windows Phone OS and Symbian OS. There is also a web based version of the app but requires users with the app installed on the phone before they can use the web based version.
WeChat has as of August 2014 had over 438 million active users around the world with only 70 million outside China.
WeChat on iPad
WeChat for iPad
Allow users to either call or text free with family and friends across countries. This version comes with many exciting features which includes:
- Ability for users to make free video and voice calls of high quality to anywhere in the world
- Ability for users to chat in groups which can accommodate up to 100 people
- Ability to send images, text, voice messages and video.
- Comes with sticker Gallery with hundreds of free fun and animated stickers to express yourself and feelings.
- Ability to share your best moments on your personal photo stream
- Ability to find and meet new friends using “Friend Radar”, “People Nearby” and “Shake”.
- Multiple language support with up to 20 localized languages and also the ability to translate messages into any language.
Multiple language support with up to 20 localized languages and also the ability to translate messages into any language.